February 26, 2011

Kachchhi Dabeli

Kachchhi Dabeli is a gujrati snack and very famous street food. It is commonly found in Gujrat and Maharashtra, especially Mumbai. I like the sweet n' spicy taste of it.
My childhood friend, my best friend, is Gujrati and we always had Dabeli that her mom made. We hogged on it whenever she made it. I miss those childhood days where we played all day without eating and celebrating something involved buying a chocolate from a store and eating it together. So I decided to try making the Dabeli for the old times sake.
In India we find Dabeli Masala easily. but I didn't have it on me when I decided to make it on a rainy evening. I made the masala from scratch and it turned out really good. It actually tasted like the one my best friend's mom made.


Ingredients: 
Dabeli Masala - 1bspn
  2 red chillies
  1tbspn Coriander/Dhaniya Seeds
  1/2 tspn Cumin Seeds/Jeera
  4 Cloves/Laung
  2 Peppercorns
  1/4 tspn Fennel Seeds
  1" Cinnamon Stick/Dalchini
Boiled and mashed Potatoes - 2 Big
Tamarind Chutney - 2 tspns
Salt
Roasted Peanuts - 1/2 cup
Pomegranate/Anar - 1/2 cup
Black Grapes - 1/2 cup
Nylon Sev/Zero number sev - 1/2 cup
Fresh Chopped Coriander - 2 tbspn
Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
Burger Buns/Paav - 8
Butter for the buns


Procedure:
  1. Roast all the ingredients for Dabeli masala in a pan for 2-3 minutes and then grind in a mixer.
  2. Mix the chopped onions, coriander, mashed potatoes, tamarind chutney and 1 tbspn masala together.
  3. Now divide the mixture in 8 parts and fill in the buns and top it with pomegranate, peanuts, grapes and sev.
  4. Now heat a pan and put some butter on it and press stuffed bun on it untill both the sides turn light brown.
  5. Now serve it with some sev sprinkled on top.
Variations: 
You can use some mint chutney/garlic chutney on the buns if some spicy dabelis are preferred.

Conclusion:
This reminded me of my childhood days again and called my best friend and spoke about our childhood memories. It was so much fun!

8 comments:

  1. cant believe u checked out the ingredients and made this PROPERLY out here in USA.

    I have been consoling myself with one of those frozen dabeli packs which obviously are no where close to what it should be :(

    great blog Su...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kaushal. Even i was surprised with the result :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the masala recipe..i've been looking out for the readymade ones at indian store but didnt find any..I'll try it soon!Thanks again!!
    the Garnishing make everything look more delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it did turn out well...except that i sneezed at least 20 times..no kidding!my mixer let out almost everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha... that's funny! I have got the Indian style mixer. It works really well! Invest in that if you use it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that the local Dabeli wala will do a final dip of peanuts before serving.Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... that was my favorite part too :). Thanks for visiting the blog.

      Delete