March 1, 2011

Amma's Pomfret Fry/Fish Fry

When I was a vegetarian, I always thought there is only one type of edible fish i.e. Prawns (Which is not even a fish)! In India one has to go to a Fish Market to buy fish and it is not found in Supermarkets. So my ignorance was reasonable.
As I started eating seafood (after coming to US of A), I came to know a variety of fishes exist in the market. Also, I married a Konkani guy whose staple diet is 'Seafood' - especially Fish Curry and Fish Fry with Rice. So I decided to make fish fry and fish curry to impress my in-laws as I was new to Konkani community and it was a challenge to make what they eat on a daily basis. Fortunately, it is very simple to cook Konkani food.
The recipe belongs to my mother-in-law who is known for her Famous Fish Fry!


Ingredients: 
Pomfret (or any kind of fish available) - 2 (Cut into pieces) or 6-8 fillets
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tspn
Turmeric/Haldi - 1/4 tspn
Ginger Paste - 1tspn
Lime Juice - 1/2 tspn
Coriander/Dhaniya Powder - 1 tspn
Salt
Rawa/Suji - 2tbspn or as required
Oil - for shallow fry

Method of Preparation: 
  1. Clean the pieces of Pomfret or fillets and add all the ingredients except Suji and Oil to it and keep it aside for an hour or two.
  2. Now heat a pan and put a tbspn oil and spread it on the pan.
  3. Now coat all sides of the fish pieces with rawa/suji and put it on the pan and shallow fry it on med-high heat adding little oil as required.
  4. Make sure all the sides are well-cooked i.e. the fish flakes when a fork in inserted in it (5-7 minutes)
  5. Serve the fish with Fish Curry and rice or Daal and rice. It is also served as an appetizer.
Variations: 
You can bake this fish (Healthier option) in oven on 350 F for 15-20mins.
This fish fry can be made with Green Masala as well. I will be posting it very soon.


Conclusion:
This has inspired me to try cooking more Konkani food and hence my in-laws are impressed. I must say 'The way to in-laws' heart is through your hubby's stomach!'

No comments:

Post a Comment