February 15, 2011

Spicy Baingan Bharta

As a child, I never liked the look of Baingan Bharta as it looked like fish to me (that was my idea of fish as I was a vegetarian). Once I tried it at my Aunt's place and loved it. It was a different kind of preparation in which we used to put shengdana chutney, goda masala, salt, chopped onions and cilantro. This tastes yummy too! But over a period of time, I learnt some variations and now I am stuck to this one.

 Ingredients:
Large Eggplants - 2
Finely Chopped Onion - 1
Finely Chopped Tomato - 1
Finely Shopped Green Chillies - 2
Garlic Paste - 1 tspn
Mustard seeds - 1tspn
Curry Leaves - 6-7
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tspn
Garam Masala - 2 tspn
Kasuri Methi - 1 Tbspn
Salt
Oil
Cilantro to garnish

Method of Preparation:
  1. Broil the eggplants for 40 minutes or till the cover of eggplants become crispy. 
  2. Remove the cover of the Eggplant and save the pulp.
  3. Heat some oil in a wok and put the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  4. Now put the chopped onions, green chillies and garlic paste and saute it till onions become brown.
  5. Now add the tomatoes and cook it for 3-4 min.
  6. Now add chilli powder and garam masala and the Eggplant and mix well.
  7. Add the kasuri methi and cook for 5 minutes with lid closed.
  8. Spicy Baingan Bharta is ready to relish!

Variations: If you do not have green chillies, add one more teaspoon of red chilli powder. Also, you can add some lemon juice for some tangy taste!

Conclusion:
My husband's boss loved the taste of it and asked for the recipe. I think I will forward my blog link to him.





No comments:

Post a Comment