February 24, 2011

Rajma Do Pyaza

As a student in US of A, my husband always made Rajma. I would rather say all the students make Rajma as the canned kidney beans are easily available in any grocery store. One need not visit the Indian grocery store and go through the pain of soaking it overnight and then pressure cooking it.
Whenever I feel want my husband to cook, I ask him to make Pasta or Rajma (These two things are tried and tested on his 6 other room mates, so it's safe!) He makes it really simple and easy and we eat it with rice. Today I was at home and wanted to try some new style Rajma and so I did some research online and mixed and matched all the ingredients I liked from every recipe and added my own ingredients too.

Ingredients: 
Red Kidney Beans/Rajma - 2 cups
Onions (Sliced) - 1 large
Green Chillies (Chopped/slit) - 3
Tomato (Finely Chopped) - 1
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tbspn
Coriander/Dhaniya Powder - 1tbspn
Cumin/jeera Powder - 1tspn
Cumin Seeds/jeera - 1/2 tspn
Kasuri Methi - 1tbspn
Garam Masala - 1tbspn
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tbspn
Yogurt - 2 tbspn
Salt to taste
Oil - 3 tbspn


Method of Preparation:
  1. Soak the Kidney beans / Rajma overnight and pressure cook it with 3-4 cups of water and take one whistle. I used 1 can of chilli beans instead.
  2. Heat the oil and put cumin seeds, then add onions to it and saute till they become brown/semi-translucent.
  3. Now add green chillies and ginger-garlic paste and saute it some more. 
  4. When the onions become brown in color, then add tomatoes to it and cook it for 2 minutes.
  5. Now add red chilli powder, cummin powder, coriander powder and kasuri methi to it and cook for 2-4 minutes.
  6. Now add the beans, salt, yogurt and 1 and 1/2 cups of water and mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes on med heat.
  7. Garnish with Cilantro and serve with rice or parathas.
 Variations: 
Add some lime juice and chaat masala for a tangy tingling taste.

 Conclusion:
The Rajma turned out really yummy. My husband rewarded me with some yummy pastry. Please try the recipe and provide feedback.

3 comments:

  1. Hi...
    i tried this dish today morning its simply turned out too good.....very simple method loved it....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lets see if my husband rewards me with yummyy pastry...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Asma for letting me know that it turned out good! I am sure your hubby would treat you for even trying it :)

    ReplyDelete