April 13, 2011

Fish Masala Curry (Hot n' Sour)

We get fish from the Chinese market nearby which is super crowded if you go after 10am. The line for cleaning and cutting the fish increases with time. Once I went early morning, and I got out within 15mins but if I go after 930am or so, I have to surely wait for an hour or more.
I always get Pompano to make fish curry. But I have seen humongous sized fish in the market the name of which I have never heard.
Today I wanted to try some different curry for the fish and I did some research online and saw this recipe which looked really yummy. I thought that version would be very spicy for my taste buds and hence I modified it as per my taste and it turned out really good.

Ingredients:
Fish (pompano) - 2LBs
Onion, Finely chopped - 1+1
Tomato, Finely chopped - 1
Green chillies, slit - 3
Garlic- 3 cloves
Ginger - 2 inch 
Red chilli powder - 3 tspn
Coriander powder - 2 tspn
Black pepper - 1 tspn
Garam masala - 1 tspn
Ajwain - a pinch
Methi seeds - a pinch
Yogurt - 2Tbspn
Tamarind pulp - 1 tspn
Lime Juice - 1 tspn
Salt
Oil
Cilantro to garnish

Procedure: 
  1. Sautee one portion onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic together till the onions are golden brown.
  2. When it is done, keep that aside and roast red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, pepper, methi seeds and ajwain together for 4-5 mins on med-low heat.
  3. Grind the above two things together. Then saute remaining onions till they are golden brown.
  4. Then add the ground masala and fry for a few minutes. 
  5. Now add tomatoes, tamarind, salt and 1/2 cup of water.
  6. Now add the fish pieces and cook for 7-10 mins turning the fish pieces over once.
  7. Garnish it with cilantro and serve with hot dill rice or roti.
Variations: 
I couldn't think of any variation but you can reduce the sourness by using whole cream instead of yogurt.


Conclusion:
I made this without anything in mind. I was not sure how this would turn but it turned out pretty yummy. It had a distinct hot n' sour taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment