March 10, 2011

Tandoori Chicken


'Tandoor' is a special type of clay oven which uses wood or charcoal as a fuel. The tandoor ovens are bell-shaped and was used to make naan in earlier days. It is used in various countries to cook and bake.
The tandoor is used for cooking variety of Afghan, Iranian, Pakistani and Indian food.
The taste of the chicken is enhanced by the Tandoor oven. I always disliked people eating the chicken leg the way they usually eat - holding the bone and pulling the meat off! But when I tried the same thing, I loved it. I became a great fan of chicken tandoori. We had BBQ parties in our apartment complex once in a while (Organized by my Husband and I) and the attractions were Chicken Tandoori and Mojitos!!

Ingredients: 
Chicken Legs - 6 pieces
Yogurt - 1 tbspn
Tandoori Masala - 2 tbspn
Chicken Curry Masala - 1 tbspn
Ginger - Garlic Paste - 1 tbspn
Lime Juice - 1tbspn
Mint - 2 sprigs
Cilantro - 3 sprigs
Green Chilli - 1
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tspn
Salt

Procedure: 
  1. Clean the chicken by removing the skin and fat. Make 3-4 slits in the leg pieces so that the marinade penetrates deep inside.
  2. Make a paste of green chilli, mint and cilantro.
  3. Now mix all the ingredients and make a paste of it and cover chicken legs in it.
  4. Keep the marinated chicken for 4-6 hours or overnight.
  5. I do not have a grill, so I used a broiler which gives a great result too! I use the charcoal grill during the BBQ parties in my complex.
  6. Heat the oven/broiler on HIGH heat and place the chicken in it for 15 mins and then turn them over and cook it for another 10-15mins. 
  7. The chicken is done when a fork pricked in, enters easily in the chicken.
  8. Relish the tandoori chicken with green chutney, chaat masala and lime juice.
Variations: 
You can use coconut milk instead of yogurt or not use yogurt at all. You can use your cooking skills and enhance the taste according to your taste buds.

Conclusion:
A hit BBQ party in which I taught everyone to make Mojitos and grill the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment