March 7, 2011

Daal Palak / Gargatta / Spinach with Lentils

Solapur falls on the border of Karnataka and Maharashtra, although it is a part of Maharashtra. The Andhra Pradesh border is not too far either, so we have Marathi, kannada and Telugu speaking people. The favorite food here is Jowar Bhakri, Gargatta (Daal Palak), Bharli Vangi and Shenga Chutney. Every 'Lingayat' wedding will have this on their menu.
My mother is very famous for her gargatta. All the lingayat and non-lingayat people crave for it and so do I. When I went to India after a year, I had a list of food items I wanted to eat and Gargatta/Daal Palak was second on the list, first being Puran Poli. I try and make close to what she makes, but I lack the motherly love which makes it taste fantastically awesome! Love you, Mom!

Ingredients:
Palak/Spinach, Cleaned and Chopped – 1 bunch/packet
Toor Daal – ½ cup
Masoor Daal – ¼ cup (If not available, substitute with toor or moong daal)
Onions, sliced - 1
Peanuts – 1 fistful (Optional but recommended)
Goda Masala – 2 tbspn (Levelled)
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tspn
Tamarind – 2” piece (Soaked in water for an hour)
Jaggery – 1 tbspn
Jeera/Cumin Seeds – ½ tspn
Garlic – 4-5 pods

Procedure: 
  1. In a pressure cooker, boil daal, palak, peanuts and onions together . Take 2-3 whistles.
  2. After the steam is gone, open the cooker and add goda masala, red chilli powder, pulp of tamarind, jaggery, garlic and jeera and boil it for another 5 minutes or till it is thick enough. Make sure it is a little thick in consistency.
  3. Isn’t it super easy?!?
Variations:
You can add variety of lentils to it and it still tastes awesome!

Conclusion:
Every time I make Daal-Palak, I miss India and home!

No comments:

Post a Comment