January 20, 2011

Bharwa Bhindi (Stuffed Oakra/Bhindi Masala)


We were being hosts for the December(2010) last weekend which was a vacation for me and my husband. So we had a few friends and family visiting us from all over US. Our friends (Deepak & Aditi) who studied with us at USC (University of Southern California) live in San Jose and often read my Facebook posts on cooking. So I decided to cook some Chicken curry and Shrimp Biryani for them. My only problem was that Aditi was Vegetarian! I looked in my refrigerator and found Bhindi/Oakra and immediately thought of Bharwa Bhindi.

Ingredients:
Bhindi /Oakra (Washed & Dried) - 1LB
Onion - 1 medium sized
Coriander Powder - 2 TBspn
Cumin Powder - 2 tspn
Sambhar Powder - 2 tspn
Amchur Powder - 1/2 tspn
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tspn
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tspn
Salt - 2/3 tspn
Oil - 2 TBspn

Method of Preparation:
  • Slit the Bhindi/Oakra lengthwise and keep it aside.
  • Now mix all the powders together.
  • Fill the Bhindi/Oakra with the mixture.

  • Now cut the onion into half and now make vertical slices.
  • Put 1 Tbspn oil in a pan and saute the onions till slightly translucent

  • Now add the Bhindi/Oakra to the pan and saute them on High Flame. Add the remaining oil after 2 mins and then lower the heat to Medium.
  • Occasional stirring is required so that it doesn't burn but do not stir it too much else the masala will fall out.
  • Quick and easy Bharwa Bhindi/Stuffed Oakra will be ready in 10 minutes.
  • Now take a picture of the end result and sit back and enjoy it!!

Variation:
You can use Lime juice instead of amchur powder. Also, if you have curry leaves chutney or powder, you can add that to the powder mixture.

Conclusion:
My friends really loved it and also asked how I made it. My husband loves this kind of Bhindi/Oakra over other styles. The sambhar powder does the magic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment