April 9, 2011

Creamy Cauliflower Soup


I am a soup lover and make soup at home very often. I became a soup lover because I love to eat or drink hot things during winter and in US of A, it is always cold, even in California. So I make a big pot of soup once a week and have it with lunch or dinner.
Today I only had cauliflower and wanted to make some soup out of it. So I called a friend of mine and she gave me her recipe.

Ingredients: 
Cauliflower - 1LB
Sliced Onion - 1/2 cup
Potato, peeled and cubed - 1
Ginger Paste - 1tspn
Garlic - 3 cloves
Black Peppercorns - 8-10
Green Chillies - 2
Milk - 1 1/2 cups
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tspn (Optional)
Water or chicken or vegetable stock - 3cups
Salt to taste

Procedure: 
  1. Cut and clean the cauliflower. Pressure cook all the above ingredients with 3 cups of water or chicken or vegetable stock. (I used water as I didn't have the broth handy)
  2. Take 2 whistles and when cooker is cooled, blend the cauliflower mixture into a smooth paste.
  3. Now add some milk and blend again.
Variations: 
My friend said that she gives a 'tadka' of oil and jeera to add some flavor to it. I didn't want to add oil to the soup so I skipped that step.

Conclusion:
When I told my husband that I am making cauliflower soup, he made faces but when I made him taste it, he loved it. Even I was surprised with its distinct taste.... very creamy without adding butter or cream. One cannot make out that it is cauliflower soup. Thanks to Louloua (Pronounced as Lulua) who suggested this soup and gave me the recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment