March 4, 2014

Sweet Potato Pudding / Ratalyacha Halwa

I fast once a year which is for Mahashivratri. We are followers of Shiva and hence we have big celebrations back home on Mahashivratri. Mom used to make Sabudana khichdi (Savory Sagoo) and Bhagar (varai). Sweet potato was one of my favorite items during fasting. I used to eat it with milk and sugar.

Sweet potato in India are not orange in color, they are yellowish. They are not as sweet as the ones you get here but they are really yummy.

On Mahashivratri, I had invited a friend of mine for dinner and I wanted to make something else other than usual things. So I decided to make 'Ratalyacha Halwa'/ 'Sweet Potato Pudding' and trust me it turned out yummmmy! You must give it a try too even if it is not Mahashivratri.



Ingredients:
Raw Sweet Potato, grated - 1.5 cup
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 4 tbspns
Ghee - 2 tbspns
Elaichi Powder - 1/4 tspn
Nuts (Pistachios, Cashewnuts, Almonds), crushed - 1 tbspn

Procedure:
Heat a pan and add ghee to it and when ghee is heated, add the grated sweet potato to it. Sauté it well until its nicely cooked (10mins maybe). Then add rest of the ingredients and cook for another 5-10mins. or till it is soft and mushy.

Variations:
I would not want to make any variations to this dish. It turned out to be so awesome that I am going to make it again soon.

Conclusion:
It was over in one go. A super hit I must say!

No comments:

Post a Comment